There is a WP Seattle Slack team!
(“What’s Slack?” you ask? Slack is a popular chat service used by lots of other companies and projects including WordPress. It’s completely free to join and use.)
If you’re someone in the Puget Sound region who has attended a Seattle WordPress Meetup or WordCamp Seattle, you’re encouraged to join the channel for friendly WordPress chatter, sharing, and support.
This channel is about building local community and supporting each other in working with WordPress, not making unurequested sales pitches or pushing products (no affiliate links, please).
How to Join
We can’t wait to see you there!
Getting Started With Slack Tips
If you’re new to Slack, there are a few things to know:
- You’ll access the chat either at wpseattle.slack.com or via a Slack mobile app or desktop program (recommended).
- Each Slack team you belong to uses a different account. If you already belong to a Slack team, you’ll still need a new account for this team.
- Users are automatically added to many “channels” (think chatrooms) including the general purpose #watercooler, #helpdesk for troubleshooting, #gigs for jobs, and #wordcamp and #meetups for events. Explore additional channels depending on your interests like #dev, #business, and #showcase.
- You can also Direct Message members of the community! This is useful for following up after a meetup or thanking someone for their help.
Tutorials, Videos, & Guides
People have different learning styles, but here are a few useful resources for getting started with Slack:
- Slack’s Getting Started Guides
- Slack’s really awesome overview of the desktop app
- Slack’s Official Video Guides
- Lynda’s “Learning Slack” course (free with many library cards including Seattle’s!)
- The Next Web’s Guide to Slack